Tuesday 4 February 2014

Does Facebook Make You Feel Bad About Yourself?



A few days ago I decided to view my Facebook page and I must confess after 10 minutes of viewing pictures and other updates from friends, I instantly became depressed. Please don’t take it the wrong way but it’s just the truth. I really can’t describe the feeling but all I can say is that I felt I was better off not opening that site for that day.

To be honest, while browsing Facebook you often see lots of people partying, vacationing and enjoying good times. Even if your own life has good times, but you are presently facing a difficult moment, seeing everyone else appearing  to always be happy and having the times of their lives can make you feel that somehow you’re not achieving enough or aren’t as successful as you should be.

In my opinion, social sites like Facebook make people tend to post pictures of themselves in happy times, no one post photos of themselves stressing over bills, disappointed at the loss of a job, or any difficult event. It is wise to realize that what you see on Facebook is only a part of the story, a hand selected snippet of time chosen by the user, everybody has ups and downs, no one’s life is perfect, even if social networks make it appear much better than it seems.

By: Ada Oyiboka.


4 comments:

Anonymous said...

i agree with u on this abeg.

Anonymous said...

Ada i totally agree with you. So many people never post pictures of sad times and difficult moments on Facebook. It always seems greener on the other side when it actually isn't .

BigFoot said...

That sorta happened to me yesterday and even today but i look at me and i know i'm not doing bad. I still got goals and I know I would get there soon. But really thou, most of my friends got filty rich parents so they got the right to enjoy it. My time is coming. lol. Muah. Nice one Ada.

GUSTYS BLOG said...

@BigFoot Like Ada stated "It is wise to realize that what you see on Facebook is only a part of the story, a hand selected snippet of time chosen by the user, everybody has ups and downs, no one’s life is perfect" life is only a stage and i know your time will surly come just keep yourself happy and believe that the best will come. Thanks for dropping your comment on our blog.