Wednesday 26 June 2013

ABROAD OR NAIJA MEN: WHO SHOULD I CHOOSE?

BY: ADA

Ada you simply will not believe it. What is it? Emma just came back from the UK and bought so many things for me, the box was filled with clothes, shoes, bags and lovely under-wears; they are really sexy. Even as I gazed at my friend in total disappointment, I tried showing her that I was also excited but deep inside my heart I was worried that all she could think of was the box of clothes Emma bought for her.

Emma has been in the UK for over four years; the last time he visited Nigeria was two years ago. I can vividly remember the last time he came back home. He always wore baggy trousers, big shoes, big headed belts and the worst part was the earrings on his ears. What a shame! Imagine a 39 year old man still dressing like a teenager. His accent was simply annoying, like seriously how long has he lived in the UK and his mother tongue has completly changed. What rubbish!!!



Ada what is the matter? Are you not happy for me? I will give you some of the tops he bought for me; is that why you are angry? Nkechi, Nkechi, Nkechiiiiii!!!! How many times have I called you; Ada please stop shouting my name like that. Are you my mother? Most people will not tell you the truth but you are more of a sister than a friend to me. Nkechi, ok how long have you been dating Emma? Four years she answered. You know everything na “ why you just dey ask me all these foolish questions like say you no know as everything take start, babe abeg chillax, Ada abeg cool down”

How long do you intend dating a man who lives abroad abi this abroad relationship never tire you? Girl abeg wake up!!! He might buy you these things but are they really important? He lives in the UK, he has not been around for a while so he can afford to get you all these things. In all honesty I don’t mean to dampen your excitement, but as your friend I will always tell you the truth. Most of the things he gets you are usually bought during sale or even from charity shops. Ada you have started again; which one is charity shops again?. They are shops where people drop clothes they have worn ‘fairly used clothes” In short they are second hand “okirika”.

My dear that is not even the main issue. Don’t you think you are getting too old for this kind of relationship? When is he going to see your parents? Ada he just arrived yesterday, he said we will discuss about it tomorrow. Besides, the love I have for him is stronger than ever. So what of Sam the Banker, abeg you know that one is for money, then what of Ekene in our class, he teaches me well and I get good grades, then the almighty Peter, please Ada stop putting him in all these category; you know that guy is good in bed; he is always hard as a rock and you know he also takes care of me financially. My dear if you were not my friend I will have tagged you an ashawo kobo kobo “prostitute”.

Why don’t you just stick to one man and be happy with him. Most times when I look at you and Emma, I feel you both are just deceiving yourselves. Emma is probably married to one oyinbo “white” woman or is in a serious relationship.  That is the main reason you both can’t get married. There is no way he can get married to you and take you over to the UK.  Ada abeg stop it, just stop it!!!  I told you that he said he is going to divorce her and after he does that we can start planning. But do you believe him? My dear I don’t know o. I am just confused.

I honestly think it’s high time you define this relationship. You should be thinking of getting married and not having more than one boyfriend. Not only is AIDS/HIV real but such relationships are not healthy. You either stick to one guy in Nigeria or you focus on the abroad guy. The choice is yours and yours alone to make. Just think of the advantages of having a relationship with a guy in Nigeria; at least you know almost everything about him. I know you like Peter, so why don’t you focus on him and discharge the other guys, who knows, it could lead to marriage. Rather than waiting for Emma who calls you either twice or even once a month.

 Babe abeg think about it; am on my way to the salon, I want to fix my hair, my darling Ejiro is taking me out for dinner. I will see you later.

No comments: