Monday 19 August 2013

BIG BROTHER



BY: DEBORAH ARUEGBE



The first time both words came together as a concept for me was in 2003. I was trying to round up my school year and proceed to serve my nation when the reality show hit the television stations. We talked about it in between discussing what was holding back a classmates results as well as which department would miss service year.

The show ended few weeks before I started my service year and all the talk continued. So much that the family house where I initially stayed conferred the title on another corper who had the habit of looking after our interests.
That was the first season. The struggle to meet up with set goals swallowed up whatever interest I had developed in the programme so much that it wasn’t until the fourth season that it featured in my conversation again. Then it got stronger with every new season. Somehow, in between hectic work schedules, watching a few persons from different parts of Africa live their life in a confined space was entertainment to me.


“What do you enjoy in that programme?”, Someone would ask once in awhile. Often times when I try to respond, the person would put up a disinterested look as the answer was usually too long. It does not bother me though. Big Brother Africa was the only programme I watched with such zest.

“So you are also an addict?” a friend once asked and I smiled. I grew up associating the word addict with drugs but over time I have come to understand that addiction could take upon anything. Thank to my newly acquired Walka I can actually enjoy my BBA outside the comfort of my home. It helps to go through the boredom that is associated with some seminars and meetings and also keeps me away from the usual beauty parlour’s hot gist. I also get frustrated when the silly Walka tells me that signal is poor. Much as I fight between these anxieties and anticipations, I had no choice but to truthfully give my friend this answer – Yes, I am an addict.

“That programme should be banned”. Now at this statement, I usually get hyper. Like, what would be the reason for anyone to feel this way? Some say it’s destroying youths of the nation. I think that notion is highly exaggerated. The destruction of our youths is caused by our faulty foundational structures which are exclusive of BBA. If I should judge BBA, I would call it a scorecard by which the development of our youths can be assessed. Thankfully the programme protects explicit contents and has further fixed a price for its availability. I also get surprised when people talk about how their kids appreciate the housemates. The programme is rated 18+, why would we expose kids to it as well as to many other age rated programme.

“So what benefits are there?” Aside from the money for grabs for the winner, I learn. Anyone else could too. I get an entertaining opportunity to learn more about most parts of Africa, parts that I would not have thought about. I know now that Ethiopia has thirteen calendar months, that I must not forget my national anthem. It has given someone back faith. I love to listen to Africa’s numerous accents and appreciate the continent more.
All that has been said are my feelings. I am not unhappy with my addiction. It feels good to have one and while this season closes, I consciously look forward to the next. And don’t ask if I ever wish to be there someday cos I don’t but from the thousands that are auditioned each year, I know we will never lack contestants.

Keep faith.


Deborah Aruebe is a Lawyer, writer and a motivational speaker. Although everyone keeps a memoir. Most people keep theirs in their head, some elsewhere, others both. However, she keeps  both BUT her blog is her elsewhere. For more articles from her, kindly visit her blog http://debsied.blogspot.com/

No comments: