Wednesday 24 July 2013

Ondo State Senator Ayo Akinyelureweeps for endorsing child marriage, women leaders disown him

                                   
Senator Ayo Akinyelure representing Ondo Central Senatorial District in the National Assembly was said to have wept publicly for being the only senator from the South-West that supported the inclusion of underage girl marriage in the constitution.
“I voted in error. I can never in my life support under age marriage. Whatever this might have caused my people, please, forgive me,” Akinyelure reportedly begged while prostrating before leaders of the councils he represents who had summoned him to explain his action.
“I will do whatever is humanly possible at my disposal to ensure that this thing is removed from the constitution.”

Sources said Akinyelure tried to address a tough crowd at the meeting which took place at Adegbemile Hall  and was witnessed by leaders of the ruling Labour Party including commissioners representing the six councils in the state executive council.
He said there was a misinterpretation of the vote on his part as what he voted for was that whether a married woman is deemed to be of full age to renounce her Nigerian citizenship and not whether a woman can marry before attaining the age of 18 years.
“I cannot vote in support of child marriage. I cannot support an under-age to go and marry, it is against our culture and customs,” he said
“If voting were to be done by show of hands, I would have been able to correct my error before the voting was concluded by the Senate.”
But the women leaders across the six council areas were said to have still disowned him and asked him to renounce his position.
“We say no to child marriage, it is worse than child abuse, we wonder why he would support the action, can a ten year old girl face the challenges of marriage.”


No comments: