Thursday 16 May 2013

David Beckham announces retirement from football


David Beckham announced his soccer retirement on Thursday, bringing down the curtain on a unique career that cannot be defined by any usual standards.
Beckham's reach was greater than that though, transcending even the most globally popular of all sports. His looks, good naturedness and marriage to Spice Girl Victoria created a fascination with the now 38-year-old that saw his face adorn billboards in over 100 countries and represent charities and leading brands alike.
That level of attention lavished upon an athlete is always going to bring some suspicion about their commitment to the game, but Beckham remained a fierce competitor, and for all the celebrity shoulder-rubbing and glitzy photo shoots, soccer success never dimmed in its importance to him.


His announcement Thursday came after his current and final club, French side Paris St Germain, clinched its first title in 19 years. After two more games to close out the French season, Beckham will hang up his cleats once and for all.
The midfielder, known popularly for his skill at set-pieces and widely regarded as one of the best free-kick takers ever, called an end to a glittering career today.
Beckham had a trophy-filled career, winning silverware across 4 countries and 2 continents.
“If you had told me as a young boy I would have played for and won trophies with my boyhood club Manchester United, proudly captained and played for my country over one hundred times and lined up for some of the biggest clubs in the world, I would have told you it was a fantasy,” said Beckham in a statement.
“I’m fortunate to have realized those dreams.”
Despite the glittering career with some of the world’s top clubs, Beckham singled out captaining his country as one of his “proudest achievements.”
“I knew every time I wore the Three Lions shirt, I was not only following in a long line of great players, I was also representing every fan that cared passionately about their country.
“I’m honoured to represent England both on and off the pitch. I want to thank all my team-mates, the great managers that I had the pleasure of learning from.
“I also want to thank the fans who have all supported me and given me the strength to succeed.” (CNN)
"I'm thankful to PSG for giving me the opportunity to continue but I feel now is the right time to finish my career, playing at the highest level," Beckham said in a statement.
American fans will naturally remember him most for what he gave to the game in the United States over the course of five and a half years with the Los Angeles Galaxy, culminating in back-to-back MLS Cup titles in 2011 and 2012 and establishing that franchise as the heavyweight of the league.
The impossible task of putting the game on a popularity par with the long-established American sports was ultimately beyond him, as it was always going to be, yet there is no doubt he served to heighten the game's overall reach and left an imprint on the pubic consciousness.

No comments: